Start Mother’s Day off right for mom with a sweet breakfast tray piled high with her favorite breakfast and brunch foods. Plan the perfect breakfast in bed for mom on Mother’s Day with easy, helpful tips.
- If you want breakfast to be a surprise, choose a few make-ahead dishes and prep them while she’s out the night before. Most muffin batters can be mixed the night before and stored in the refrigerator. Wake up early and put the finishing touches on the dishes, and then bring the tray to her for a nice breakfast surprise.
- Include a small bunch of her favorite flowers in a glass vase and a nice handmade card for an extra special touch.
- If you have small children, let them help with breakfast by choosing easy recipes, such as pancakes or French toast. Mom will also appreciate sweet handmade gifts, such as cards or coupon booklets that relieve her of household duties.
- Ask mom a few days ahead what her favorite breakfast recipes are to get an idea of what to make.
- Be sure to clean up after yourself, too. If the person you’re treating comes into the kitchen to find a pig sty, that might kill their delight over what you just did for them.
- Pour any liquids only 3/4 of the way. This is especially important with hot liquids, as you don’t want them to spill onto the person or the bed linen when the tray is moved.
- Bring the newspaper or include his or her favorite magazine.
- Cater to her or his special interests and appetites. For example, if she collects elephants, stop by the gift shop and pick up a small ceramic elephant to adorn the tray.
- Layer on the extra touches. Use the best china and silverware. Present the meal with a linen napkin.
Our suggestion for a sweet start of the day:
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
butter for frying
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Additional: berries, whipped cream, ice cream, honey, golden syrup, chocolate sauce, fruits such as banana, passion fruit, mangoes
Mix everything together, fry the pancakes in butter and offer with generous accompaniments.